Monday, April 15, 2013

Today we saw the worst of humanity

This has been a pretty terrible day for everyone in the country, hell the world. The bombs that went off in Boston this afternoon don't just affect them, it affects all of us. And it is times like these that show who we really are as people. As humans

And I must say, I've been thoroughly disappointed with humanity today.

Apparently it isn't bad enough that over 80 people were injured today. It isn't bad enough that two people have died. It isn't bad enough that one of the dead is an 8 year old little boy. It isn't enough that a city was sent into a panic. It isn't enough that we, as a nation, are mourning this tragedy. We have to turn this into a political, racist, disgusting event that makes everyday people call perfect strangers terrible things.

Just like every other tragedy, the news tried and failed to report on this as it happened. Reporters and journalists all wanted to be the first one to have information, regardless of whether it was true or not. People were reporting that buildings were being bombed, when in reality they just had a small maintenance fire. People were reporting that a man was arrested and in custody just a few hours after the attacks. People were reporting that 12 were dead when emergency responders were still trying to figure out what was happening. There were numerous reports that all turned out to be false today.

And you know what, when they're trying to give people like you and me information immediately, journalists are going to make mistakes. I know that. I'm not expecting every report to be completely accurate when tragedy strikes. But I do expect them to redact misinformation. I do expect new casters to not blatantly lie about someone of a certain ethnicity to be in custody and arrested. These same news outlets don't correct the information to say that a citizen saw an ethnic man running from a bomb blast a tackled him. He was tackled because of his ethnicity. He was tackled by a citizen like you or me because of the color of his skin.

That is wrong.

And this story is still developing. No one knows what all happened today. It will be a while before we all know. Buy the way people reacted to that news was disgusting. And anyone that tried to correct that information was a terrorist. Or a Muslim supporter. Or a Muslim terrorist supporter. Or part of a sleeper cell. Or deserved to die. (Yeah, these are all things I've been called in the last three hours for trying to point out that story was false.) And you know what, that is really disappointing. Humanity was at its worst today.

This was an act of terrorism. Thousands of people were terrified. These innocent people were terrorized. The person or persons responsible for an eight years old boy losing his life need to be punished. I will never deny that. But maybe, when something as terrible as this happens, we need to learn to come together and not tear each other apart. We need to be better than this.

This is still all developing. This is still fresh and raw. And it hurts.

But we need to stop lashing out in hurt and fear and anger at each other. We need to be there for the people that need us. Those that were effected by this tragedy need the rest of us. They need our support.

Not our hate.

1 comment:

  1. The ending of this entry is very touching. I am trying to teach myself not to expect anything from anyone. Expectations always lead to disappointment and most, I think, only care about number one. It is a crying shame.

    ReplyDelete