Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Republican talk radio is amazing

Seriously, it's great. I love it. I used to never listen to the radio because I hated the garbage played on the radio. Seriously, with all of the music out there how is it that every radio station is playing the same ten songs? And usually they play them all at the same time. How is that possible?? How is it that with millions of songs to chose from and all of the talent out there, the same mind numbing pop crap is what is popular?

But I digress...

I have found the wonderful world that is AM and talk radio.

I don't watch Fox news or want to read any sort of republican publication, but I do love to listen to Republican talk radio when I'm driving. Granted, I don't really do that much driving, usually a grand total of 45 minutes a day, but I think it is good to listen to what the other side has to say. I may only hear a small part of a host's show, but there is almost always a portion of each show that allows callers to voice their opinion. And since I generally avoid talking politics with people, I think this is a great way to hear what real Republicans think.

I'm a fairly liberal Democrat. I'm quite proud of this fact. I support equal rights and I'm Pro-Choice and I think religion should be removed from schools and the judicial system and Healthcare Reform is a good thing and the countries we're occupying shouldn't have our military presence. I try to keep up to date with what is happening in the world from various sources. I read what some of the more extreme faux-news outlets call "liberal propaganda."  I try to find as many unbiased sources as possible, but that isn't really possible, everyone has an opinion and they are going to write with a bit of a bias.

But I love Republican talk radio.

I think it is fascinating to hear some of the more convoluted conspiracies that some of the audiences can come up with. There is almost as much thought put into the conspiracies as Martin put into Game of Thrones.  While it is easy to scoff at them for the absolute ridiculousness of it all, you have got to admit some of the Right-wing extremists have a lot of imagination.

And while a lot of people I know might think it is odd that I enjoy listening to such nonsense, sometimes it's good to step outside of my general comfort zone and listen to what the other side has to say. And sometimes it is nice to hear that there are a couple hosts that aren't batshit crazy. These are a bit hard to find, but it is nice to hear an educated argument from people I don't necessarily agree with. If you don't understand why your opponent believes something you will never be able to even attempt to convince them. It is also nice to hear these radio hosts are just as quickly to shut down conspiracy theories just as often as certain hosts are willing to create them.

Another reason I like talk radio is because it reminds me that not all Republicans are insane. The ones that we see and hear about generally are extreme and bordering on insane, but the majority are not. Just like the majority of Democrats aren't. The extremists from both sides are generally what the opposing side sees because we like to point and laugh at how ridiculous their point of view is. Sometime it is nice to be reminded of this fact. I think it is something that most people realize, but we forget it a lot of the time.

So, if you tire of listening to the same four songs on the radio on your daily commutes, try turning to AM and giving it a shot. Not only will your brain thank you for not being subjected to mind melting pop garbage, but you might actually be able to learn something new.

No comments:

Post a Comment