Friday, April 26, 2013

Lifescouts Friday: Musically Inclined






Happy Friday all! This week has really had its ups and downs. The Stars were eliminated from the playoffs and I had to take my car in to get serviced because it wouldn't turn on, but a lot of the work required to be done was covered under warranty. I was told that work would slow down after fourth quarter but I've yet to see any sort of slow down happen yet. But I wont complain (too much) because it is nice to be able to have a job and taking on more responsibilities that are more marketing/design centered. So I present to you this week's addition of Lifescouts! The next few additions are going to be about music. Enjoy!


Bass

As you all know, Justin taught me how to play the guitar. He also taught me how to play bass. In high school, I thought it was important to learn to play as many instruments as possible. In addition to actually taking lessons for various things, I took it upon myself to learn from people I knew. Not that it really does me any good now. I haven't played any sort of instrument since I left school.



Clarinet

In high school, if you made it to a certain chair in band, you had to audition for the state orchestra. You could do so as a soloist or coerce another poor soul to practice a piece and perform it with you (so you also had to rely on them to perform well in order to make it). My freshman year of high school, having never auditioned alone before, I was able to convince a friend of mine that played the clarinet to perform a duet with me. I also did learn how to play a bit as part of my I-need-to-know-how-to-play-every-instrument-known-to-man phase.


Perform on Stage

I was in band and orchestra. And in the state orchestra. And I was a part of a choir. We had to perform many times. That is a big part of being in each of these musical groups. You had to perform on stage.





Saxophone

Another part of my  I-need-to-know-how-to-play-every-instrument-known-to-man phase. Also, since most of my friends in high school were in band, a lot of the people I dated were in the band. One of these people was a guy who played the saxophone. Like most high school romances, it didn't last and we have grown apart and don't even speak to each other.




Piano 

I actually took lessons to learn how to play the piano. This was not part of my  I-need-to-know-how-to-play-every-instrument-known-to-man phase. I began taking lessons when I was five or six and continued until high school. Unlike most instruments I took up, I can actually still play the piano even though it has been years since I actually took lessons.

No comments:

Post a Comment