I've known that the Stars have been shopping our captain, Brenden Morrow, for several months. I knew that there was no intention to resign him if he did manage to stick with the team through the end of the season. I knew this was going to happen.
That doesn't mean I'm any happier about the fact that he's now gone.
I know that Morrow really hasn't been his best. Any time your captain is demoted to fourth line, you know that its only a matter of time. He's been with the team for what seems like forever. He's been a staple of the team. He's one of the last Stars that I avidly cheered for when I saw my first Stars game six (seven?) years ago. Ott's gone, Ribiero's gone, Modano is gone, Turco is gone... The players that I loved watching are all leaving. Even though they were only here for a single season, it still sucked to hear that both Souray and Burish were traded. If I hear anything about rumors for either Loui or Jamie getting traded I'm just going to give up on actually liking individual players.
And I'm really going to miss our captain.
I may not remember the Morrow's entire career here in Dallas, but I do know that Morrow has been great for Dallas. Even though the past several years he's been plagued with injuries (what do you expect when you're starting to creep closer to 40 and you play a physically demanding sport), I think he's had a great presence. He's given everything to this team. And to this city. He's fought well, he's played well, he's given everything he had and then some for this team.
As much as I'm sad to see him go, I think we all know that it is time. Fans can't help but criticize him ruthlessly whenever he makes a mistake. We've all been disappointed that our captain has been playing on the fourth line. And, though I've never had the chance to ask him personally, I'm sure the negativity from fans that he's given everything to isn't easy to take. I know I've made my fair share of comments on the lack of points from our captain, but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate everything he's done. I'm sure the constant comments that he's past his prime can get tough to hear.
And even though I knew he wasn't going to stay in Dallas, its still sad to hear that he's leaving.
And what makes this entire situation worse is that he's going to a team that I absolutely hate: the Penguins.
But I do wish all the best for Brenden. As much as I would hate to see the Penguins win the Cup, I wouldn't hate the fact as much if he were on the team.
I won't say good luck to him, but I will wish all the best and thank him for everything he has done for this team.
No comments:
Post a Comment