Happy Friday everyone! I hope you all enjoy this week's edition of Lifescouts Friday. Wishing you all a wonderful weekend! DFTBA
Niagara Falls
The summer before I started high school, my parents decided to take my brothers and I on a road trip through the Northeast. This included stops in Maine, Pennsylvania, New York, and a stop at Niagara Falls. Niagara Falls is... huge. And impressive. We took the boat ride that takes you right up to the Falls (even in July it was freezing!) and walked around behind the falls. And while it was great to see, I don't really have any intention of making a second trip.
Archery
Growing up, my parents would send me off to camp almost every summer. No matter where we lived, every summer it was guaranteed that I would be heading off to some sort of camp for at least two weeks in the summer where I would learn something really cool for two weeks to never use it again. One summer, I took up archery (it was either that or some dumb craft stuff). I'm by no means a Katniss when it comes to archery, but it was a lot of fun to learn.
Fencing
Like archery, I took up fencing in summer camp. I was really into fencing since this also happened to be the summer that Pirates of the Caribbean was released and it was fun to pretend to be a pirate for a little while. But I can't help but ask myself what were these people trying to teach us? Were they insane letting thirteen-year-olds spend hours each day learn how to hit each other with swords? Especially considering they were actual swords, just with no edge. Oh well, at least I didn't die.
Plant a Tree
Again, something I've done at various summer camps. I guess in order to balance out all of the ways they taught us to kill each other, camps would often have events at the beginning/end of camp where we would spend time planting trees.
Picnic
When the weather is nice out, I love picnics. There's something really nice about throwing a couple dishes together, grabbing a blanket and going on a picnic. Shortly after Austin and I moved to Dallas, we would go on picnics all the time when we were in the West Village. There was something amazingly relaxing about grabbing our dinner and wine and heading down the Katy Trail. Sometimes I miss being in Uptown because the Katy Trail was great for that sort of thing.





No comments:
Post a Comment