Friday, March 8, 2013

Lifescouts Friday: CPR, Hot Air Balloons, Parades and more!



Happy Friday everyone! Hopefully everyone else's weeks have been a bit less crazy than mine, but its over. Its finally over. So, without further ado, its another edition of Lifescouts!



CPR
In high school, in order to graduate you were required to take a health course. Not only did this cover basics like nutrition and "family planning" but it also covered things like CPR. One of the requirements in order to pass the teacher I had was that you had to get CPR certified by the end of the semester. It really wasn't too difficult, all you had to do was to take a test and (on a practice dummy) perform CPR. While I've let my certificate lapse, I still remember how to do it.






Hot Air Balloon
When I was in the 7th and 8th grade, I was in band and I also lived in DC. Three times a year, our band would travel all over the northeast to perform in competitions (which we always won, I would like to brag). During these trips, we would spend one day competing, one day at an amusement park and another day doing some other "learning" activity. One of these competitions was held in New Jersey. Our "learning" activity was spending the day at the zoo. This zoo also had hot air balloon rides. While we didn't get to actually go anywhere, it was a lot of fun to go up.







 Driving
I've been driving since I was fourteen. Actually I remember when I was, like, four and I would get to sit on an adults lap and "drive" while they drive.... But I guess that doesn't really count. So I've been driving for the past eight years. Maybe its because I live in the US and especially in a city that doesn't have a major public transportation system, but I really don't see what's so "badge worthy" of driving.

SCUBA Diving
In August 2010, I learned how to SCUBA dive. Austin's cousin teaches SCUBA diving, so he obviously taught us how to dive. We both wanted to get be PADI licensed divers before we left for our honeymoon since you can't dive unless you've been licensed and certified (and who wants to do that when you're on a vacation!?) It really was a great experience and although I am sad to say that we haven't done anything with our certification lately. Maybe its time to get back in touch with Curt about going diving come spring....
Be in a Parade 
Throughout high school and junior high I was in band. In high school, this meant I was also in the marching band. Aside from being able to go to band camp which is actually a lot of fun (seriously, have you ever played soccer on the roof of doors with a ball that was on fire?) and playing at games, we also were in the parades at Christmas and whatnot. While being in the parades in the summer in your band uniform and walking for ten miles and playing and keeping in step wasn't so much fun, hanging out with everyone afterwards always was.

1 comment: