I just talked to the IT guy that has been working on my laptop for me to try and save it, and he's informed me that it's dying. Apparently my motherboard is completely fried and since my computer crashed while I had a lot of programs open and a lot of files open, there's a lot of stuff that got corrupted that I wont be able to recover. There are a lot of pictures that I've been working on, an essay I was working on, video footage I was editing... I guess multitasking isn't always a good thing. And I know you're supposed to back up all of your stuff on a regular basis, and I have backed up my computer, just not anytime recently. It's been a good five or six months since I last backed everything up. This is very bad since I have (well, I had) quite a lot of new information on my computer since then. I've had several photography jobs since the last time I backed up my computer and that could all possibly be lost. So remember kids, back up your computers on a regular basis. You never know what could happen.
There is a bit of good news though! Apparently Mr. IT is working on getting my computer at least functional with some other computer parts he has. He has warned me that I shouldn't run a lot of programs at once since these are all parts from other machines. Mr. IT is going to bring me a working computer on Friday, but it wont last for more than a couple months. He tried to explain it to me but I honestly don't understand, but he's replacing certain parts to give me a little extra life. I will have an extra 3-4 months with my computer if I use it minimally. If I can keep my memory usage down and keep it from running too long, I will get four months. If I use it like I was using it before, I can give it a few weeks. This means, less time online, very little picture editing, very little video editing, minimal usage for the next couple of months. My goal is to get my computer to last until May since that's when I was originally planning on getting a new computer. That's when I've budgeted to get the computer I really want with the programs I need.
So, in summary: I will get my laptop back soon. It will be working. I will lose pretty much everything I had open at the time. I can't use my computer as much for as long as I was. If I manage to follow Mr. IT's rules, I will still be able to get the computer and programs I want in May.
No comments:
Post a Comment