Monday, March 12, 2012

How is it March Already??

It really has been quite a while since I’ve posted an update on what is going on in my life. I’ve taken to posting more actual writing and less about my life lately. There’s no real reason for this transition, but it has happened. I do enjoy writing more about a specific topic and not relegating myself to talk only about my life mostly because life isn’t all that interesting or exciting on a day to day basis. Since I’m about halfway through my Spring semester, I figure this is a nice time to just let you all know how life has been. I noticed that I really haven’t posted something like this since the beginning of the year, and since March is halfway over I figure it’s about time I get caught up with everything happening!

So far, my Spring courses are still going quite nicely. I’m taking French, History, and another English Composition course. Because I generally just find History to be dull and boring, I really don’t enjoy it that much. The professor I have is great and engaging and she knows how to relate things from the American Revolution to the society we have now, so I’ve actually been able to stay interested thus far. Since I am required to take another History course before I graduate, I’m sure I’ll take another course with this same professor since I find her class interesting. My English class is great but there hasn’t been much actual writing involved. This course focuses on argumentative writing and I feel like that’s something I excel at, so I’m a bit disappointed that there haven’t been more assignments. Then there’s my French course… I was really looking forward to waking this course because I love the language. Since I wasn’t able to take the course on campus due to it being in the middle of the day, I opted to take it online. Learning a language online is not easy. Not only due to the fact that you have to keep track of your own progress, but you’re trying to learn and speak and understand a foreign language. That is not an easy task to take on when you’re in a classroom and have someone to assist you. I’m really hoping that I can take French on campus in the Summer or Fall…  I can’t really complain about my courses too much since I am still holding down my 4.0.  

Ballet has been a lot more demanding lately. Not only because I’m preparing for my first performance, but also because I’m spending a lot more time in the studio working on a lot of advanced things. I’m not going to bore you with all the technical aspects of everything, but ballet is actually very demanding. When you have to jump and turn and dance and pliĆ© for hours on end, you have to be in good shape so I’ve picked up running to help me out there. I’m really looking forward to this first performance, even though I’m really not one to be put in the spotlight on stage, in front of people. Ballet has also become the best way for me to work through my emotions. I’ve found that when I’ve had a terrible day, I can channel my anger or frustration into a dance. If I’ve had a great day, it makes for a very smooth and peaceful dance. This performance is going to be the first time anyone other than the other girls in my class have seen me dance, so I’m looking forward to hearing what they think. And I get to wear a really cute outfit that looks really amazing when I do my turns. That’s kinda nice, too. This performance is going to be a lot of fun and I’m excited to see the dances all come together. For those that didn’t know, you don’t really learn a dance all at once. You learn the basic steps involved and slowly start to mark the dance and turn it into something more than just a tour en lair or pirouette. You take individual steps and link them together to create a dance, but only after you have perfected each individual move.

As I stated, I’ve started running. I haven’t been doing this for very long, only a couple months, but I definitely think it is something I will stick with. I originally started running a couple months ago just to try and keep my mind off the fact that I had been diagnosed. I found myself spending a lot of time dwelling on the bad and worrying about things that I had no control over and I found that getting outside and running helped to refocus me. I’m by no means the fastest or the one that can go the farthest, but I’m out there. Honestly, when I started running I actually hated running. I didn’t see the point of it and I thought it was boring. Now, I’ve come to see that it’s really quite peaceful and I love to be able to get outside for a little while. I love seeing my times slowly go down and my distances slowly start to creep up. I love knowing that I can make it through four hours of ballet and not be nearly as exhausted. I also love the fact that it really has helped tone up my legs and bum even more. No one would ever complain about having great legs and a fabulous bum.  

And then there’s work… Well, work is a complicated subject, isn’t it? I’ve always been a bit vague about work and try to only write about the good things, but work is not always good. Even the person with the greatest job in the world isn’t going to love their job every day. Since I spend 50 hours a week at work, when things are bad it’s very hard not to write about what is bothering me. We all know how stupid that would be. We’ve all heard the stories about employers who come across their employees posts griping about work and end up getting fired, and I have enough common sense to know that writing about my job would be career suicide. I wont be posting about things that are happening at work, mostly because it’s not going to be interesting to most people and also because this company deserves privacy, too. I do know that there will be a major change, by the end of July at the latest.  

No comments:

Post a Comment