Wednesday, March 14, 2012

I Just Need to Rant a Bit


I really hate people sometimes. I’m usually a pretty laid back person that can get along with most people, but this week I’ve really just hated people. I’ve had to deal with comments from some people this week that would reduce other people to tears. Since I hate crying and I hate to deal with people crying, I usually put my tears into words. The problem with this is that sometimes what I end up writing a post that no one in their right mind would want to read. I’ve tried (and failed) to write a decent post on a number of topics this week but I just can’t seem to get over a few of the things that I’ve had to deal with this week. Since I’m not writing anything worth reading, I may as well just try to talk about the things that have been bothering me.   
  1. The main problem I’ve had with people this week is that I was told, Monday morning, by a coworker that since I don’t “act like a person with cancer, we all know everything is fine.” This comment from my coworker bothered me for several reasons. This person used “we” so that means that it is not just this one person that feels like they are an authority on how I act and why. It’s a few people. Also, I don’t know how I’m supposed to act like someone that has cancer. Unless we’re talking about astrological signs, there’s no one way people act. (Even if we were, I’m a Libra and not a Cancer) I don’t know if this person feels like I need to talk to everyone about this every moment of every day, but I don’t open up to people like that. I don’t want to dwell on the fact that there’s a serious problem in my life I have no control over. Why would I want to bring this up all the time? Am I not allowed to do things I enjoy just because I’m sick? I can’t run or do ballet or go to class or go to work because I’m sick? This is how I distract myself from my problem; I occupy my life with other things worth focusing on. This is how I cope. People that just assume I’m fine because I don’t want to talk to them about things really need to STFU.
  2. What is up with people using really cheesy pick-up lines? Do guys really think that by walking up to me and saying I remind them of their future girlfriend I’m just going to fall over myself to jump into bed with them? Are these people too blind to not notice that I have a rock sitting on my finger? I know it’s not the biggest ring out there, but a 1.75kt diamond is enough for people to notice. Even if you aren’t observant enough to see my ring, don’t use corny pick-up lines. They don’t work. Pick-up lines actually make me think less of your intelligence and I will laugh at you later about trying one on me. So stop using them.
  3. I don’t understand why people feel the need to constantly ask me what’s wrong. I understand that people are concerned, but you don’t need to badger me about what’s bothering me just because I look upset. When people ask me what’s wrong, sometimes I’m just working on homework. Nothing is wrong. Continuing to ask me what’s wrong makes you the problem. There are times when I just don’t want to talk about what’s bothering me. Maybe something really dumb is bothering me and I know it’s dumb and I don’t want to admit something silly is bothering me. Again, continually asking me about what’s wrong will make you the problem. Sometimes the people that badger me about the problem is the problem. If you’ve just upset me, I usually don’t want to talk to you about what is bothering me five minutes later. I’m probably still a bit upset and I need time to myself. When you harass me about what’s wrong when we both know it’s you in the first place, you’re just going to piss me off even more. The lesson here? If I seem upset and I respond with nothing is wrong, let me be until I feel like talking to you about it.
  4. I love to write. I have a lot of things I want to write about. When I can’t get the thoughts from my head onto my computer in a way I want, it bothers me. The me I try to get this one topic down and it is not cooperating, the more frustrated I get. And then the piece I’m writing just ends up sounding worse and worse. This might not be a big deal for a lot of people, the fact that they can’t get their thought from brain to paper, but when it’s one of the things you think you’re good at and the way you express things, it’s a very frustrating thing.
  5.  I hate Spring Break. When I was I school and didn’t work, yeah it was nice to have a week off. Now that I work, Spring Break and summer breaks are just pointless to me. I still have to wake up at 6:00 every morning (if not earlier) and go to work. I still have to be a productive member of society. I don’t see the point in having a break from classes when I could be using this week to actually get coursework done and working on my degree. In the next few years, I’ll have several weeks off from classes that I should be spending in class. I know that when totaled together, I could probably shave at least a semester off of the length of college. Luckily I can take winter and summer courses and negate some of the dead time, but I don’t like having such extensive breaks. A day or two off is nice and gives me a chance to recharge. A week is just a waste of time.
  6. Speaking of Spring Break, my dance studio is closed this week. I don’t like not being able to dance. I don’t like not looking forward to ballet three days a week. I feel lazy and fat when I miss classes. When I miss a week of classes, this feeling gets worse.
  7. I deactivated my FaceBook account. It was never something I really used on a regular basis. I used it to talk to one person on a regular basis. Other people I use other means to stay in touch with them. So I got rid of it. I don’t miss it at all. I do have a lot of people that are just in shock and disbelief that I got rid of my FaceBook account. Why? I didn’t realize what a terrible thing it was to get rid of a social networking account. It’s not like I’m deleting myself from life, I’m getting rid of a website I never really used anyways. What is the big deal? And why do people feel the need to constantly ask me about this? And then why do people feel the need to try and convince me that I just need FaceBook in my life.

I know most of these really aren’t things that should bother me, but all of these things have really been bothering me this week. I don’t want to be at work since I’ve been in such a foul mood most of the time and I don’t want to take it out on people that just have the misfortune of being in my proximity, but I can’t take off work because I don’t feel like dealing with people. I don’t think that would really fly with my coworkers, vendors, tenants, or supervisors.  I know I can’t be the only person that goes through these periods, but I still don’t like it.

I’m sure this post wasn’t something that most people actually enjoyed reading, but I needed to rant about all of these things that have happened this week. What? It’s only Wednesday? Well crap. Things have to start looking up, right? Right??

3 comments:

  1. Is it weird that I enjoyed this post? Mainly because a lot of the stuff you said I could relate to, especially this week. So it was like reading something I should have written in a way but didn't because I feel like I rant and whine enough as it is.

    I do really hate that people assume because you don't complain about an illness on a daily basis that it must mean everything is better or all fine. I've never understood why people don't seem to understand there's more than one way to cope.

    I get the Facebook thing, too. I don't check mine often and I get so annoyed when someone asks me why I didn't know something or why I didn't come to an event I was invited to. Only to say I wasn't aware of the thing or event they're speaking of then being told, "well, I posted it on Facebook." I'm sorry, not everyone lives and breathes Facebook.

    Hope this week gets better for you. What's left of it anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I debated whether or not I wanted to actually post it just because I don't like to complain. I finally decided that this is my blog and I can bitch and moan if the mood strikes me. At least someone enjoyed reading this!!

      Apparently everyone else knows what is happening and what I'm dealing with better than I do. They don't ask, they just assume and then tell me how they know I'm fine. I'd like to see how these people cope with a serious illness or problem in their life...

      I've come to realize that for a lot of people Facebook=Life for many people. We're not friends on Facebook? It doesn't count. You didn't answer my message on Facebook? You must hate me. There's more than one way to communicate and keep up with people, I just don't see the point in having the account if I never use it.

      Thanks! I feel a lot better after ranting a bit and getting it out of my system. I'm just looking forward to Friday and the weekend!!

      Delete
  2. Well at least you had American Aquarium to boost your weekend! It was nice seeing the two of you again.

    ReplyDelete