Yesterday was my first day back back on campus for the semester. I'm really looking forward to this semester even if it is sure to prove a bit more challenging than my last. For the fall semester, I finished with all A's. For the wintermester I took a Sociology course and finished that with an A. I'm hoping I can finish my next semester the same way, all A's.
Now for a brief overview of my courses and what my first impression is of them...
First up, I have History. I was honestly not looking forward to this class at all. It's American History, the book takes us from Colonization to 1877. Honestly, I prefer World History because there's more of it and it just seems much more interesting. The only way I have any chance of finding interest in this class is if the professor knows how to engage the students and peak my interest. And guess what? She's already done that! We spent the first class just over-viewing how the basic colonization methods still have an impact today, how it effects politics, and how we can still see the English influence in our everyday lives. Another thing I'm looking forward to is the way she is able to tie in History with our political system now and the upcoming election. Since we're pretty much on the same wave length politically speaking, I think I'll be able to really apply myself. It's not the same boring History lessons that we've all been taught, this is applying our past to our present and our future. Which, I think, is something that most History teachers don't do nearly enough.
Next I have my newest English Composition course. This course is going to deal with argumentative and persuasive essays, something I think I am quite good at already. There is also going to be a large research paper near the end of the semester which is going to take an awful lot of work. I was looking forward to taking this course as soon as I finished my last English course, and that anticipation hasn't diminished at all. I am a little disappointed that there wont be many essays due, but I think the essays themselves will be great to work on. The professor seems like a great guy. The way he talks and dresses actually kinda reminds me a bit of John Green (the author... go look him up now). The class... They seem to be a bit retarded. Since it was the first class, he wanted us to introduce ourselves and part of this required students to say what their favorite book is. Out of a class of eighteen, at least six of them stated that "Reading is boring" or "I don't read." Excuse me? You don't like to read? I wanted to smack them with the book that I had in my bag with me and hopefully knock some sense into them. Alas, I didn't. I still think I should have....
Anyways... My final class is my French course. I am a bit disappointed that I have to take French online due to the fact that they only offer it in the middle of the day. Obviously, with my job, there's no way I could take it on campus. So, I have to suffice with an online course. I honestly don't know how well this will go just because there is a lot of speaking and pronunciation and whatnot that comes into play with learning a new language, but I'm hoping I can do this. If I have any troubles, I have found out that NLC does have a work center that will be able to tutor students with foreign languages. If I'm worried about the speaking aspect, I'll at least have that resource available.
Well, that is my general class schedule. I know that it is going to take a bit more work than last semester but I think I'll be able to handle it. Now, I just have to make sure I can keep up with work and ballet. Oh, speaking of ballet, I have my Cecchetti exam next Sunday! I'm very excited and pretty sure I'll pass even with the stress of school and health issues. I've been practicing more and I think I'm fully prepared!
A tout a l'heure!
No comments:
Post a Comment