Thursday, August 4, 2011

Should people talk about politics at work?

Today, the building I work for is hosting an event for the Dallas Democratic party. This is a very large event where we will be having 500 people here, all Democrats, all supporting our President and celebrating his 50th birthday (Happy birthday President Obama!). And there is one person who I work with that is very much a right wing Republican.

Every time this man sees me, he feels the need to make snide comments about Democrats, the President and politics in general. He knows very well that I am a Democrat. He knows very well that I support our current President. He knows I keep up with current events and politics. I know he doesn't. And yet, for some reason unbeknown to me, he is constantly trying to bring up political issues and attempt to debate with me. Since this man doesn't keep up with anything in the news, he only spouts off the Faux News rhetoric, he really doesn't have any idea what is going on. He does know that Obama is (apparently) a Muslim, Obama is (apparently) not an American, that the new health-care bill (apparently) is trying to kill off old people, atheists are (apparently) trying to take over the country, etc, etc.

And today, with the Dallas Democratic party holding an event here, he has gotten 20x worse.

So, this brings me to my real point: Should we discuss politics at work? This is something that I will go into detail with in my next post, but in short, I feel political debates should be kept out of the workplace. Unless you work in government. In that case, you really can't avoid it, can you?

No comments:

Post a Comment