Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Mack might already be leaving

Saturday, we picked up Mack from a trainer and took him to a Paws in the City event at Lee Harvey's. it was great to be able to spend time with Mack and his trainer. Not only just to get some time to get to know Mack, but also to learn about some of his difficulties and how to help him. 

And now, after only a couple of days, someone is already looking to adopt him. I think it's a good thing that it has happened so fast because otherwise I would have had a hard time letting go of him. 

I don't know why it is harder for me to let him go than our other fosters. Maybe it's because we spent so much time with him from Day 1. Maybe it's because he reminds me of a dog I had growing up. Maybe it's because he's such a big teddy bear. Maybe it's because I've actually been home lately. Whatever it is, I guess I just have to get over it if he really is going to a new home. I need to remember that if he goes to another home, we can help another dog, another wonderful animal that we're giving a second chance. 

And that's why I foster. Not for other people. Not for recognition. But to give an animal a second chance at life. I foster in order to give dogs like Sheba and Parker and Mack the chance to find a home where they will be loved. Because they deserve it. It is a terrible fact that if we hadn't been able to foster, any of these three dogs would have been euthanized because there wouldn't have been a place for PITC to place them after pulling them from a shelter. Austin and I have thought about just getting a second permanent dog for Sam, but we've decided that we would rather foster. 

Sam is such a versatile dog that gets along with everyone and every dog he meets. He enjoys meeting new people. And he actually helps shy, reserved dog come out of their shell. Just by simply being Sam he helps them to remember that they can play and have fun. he helps them in ways that no person ever could simply by being such a happy dog. While we were fostering Sheba, we didn't have Sam and I didn't realize how much of a help having a second dog would be. But now, after fostering a few dogs, I'm beginning to realize that dogs don't just need love and attention from people, they need to learn how to be a dog in a happy home. 

I am a bit sad to see Mack go, but I'm looking forward to the next dog we can take in, the next dog we can save. 

No comments:

Post a Comment