Friday, May 3, 2013

Lifescouts Friday: Musically Inclined (continued)



Another Friday is upon us. Finally. Has anyone else felt like this week has just dragged on? I have. This has been one of those uninteresting weeks that felt like it would last forever. So enjoy another musically themed Lifescouts!

Drums

When I was in junior high, I was in band. In order to prepare us for a high school that 80% of us military kids would never go to, we had various things in order to prepare us for high school and marching band. One such organization was a drum line. Even though I was officially a woodwind, I decided to try out (and made) the drum line.






Keyboard

Playing the keyboard really isn't too different from playing a piano. Since my family moved around a lot, my parents tried to eliminate the number of big, expensive, easily broken objects. One of which was out piano. Which was replaced with a keyboard that was easier to move and not as costly to tune.





Flute

While I was in my I-need-to-play-every-instrument phase in junior high and high school, I also took lessons and "officially" played the flute. I took lessons. I played the flute in orchestra. I went to band camp. I played it in the marching band. I had to practice every day for an hour at least. When I was kicked out for being  bisexual, I didn't think to take it with me and I haven't played it since then.



Trumpet 

Most of my friends in high school were in band. We all had to get to school early and practice during the summers and practice after school and travel together. And since I spent most of my time with these kids, most of the people I dated were in band. And I dated a guy that played the trumpet. It was a short-lived relationship that ended the day before Valentine's Day because he didn't know what to get a girl that didn't want flowers or candy or any other useless crap that is associated with the day.


Violin

Before I took up the flute, I took violin lessons. From grades 4-6 I took lessons and had visions of myself playing in concert halls. Eventually, I got lazy and wanted a smaller instrument that wasn't as cumbersome to take to lessons and school and home. It wasn't a lack of desire that made me switch to the flute, it was absolute laziness because the flute was small and I could just throw it into my school bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment