Today, I'm going to be filling out all of my paperwork to graduate in May to receive my Associate's degree. I know that getting an Associate's degree isn't a huge deal to most people, but this is a huge accomplishment for me.
When I started taking classes last fall, I had already been out of school for three years. I can't even begin to tell you how many people told me that it was a waste of my time and my money to be going back to school when I had a full-time "real" job in an office. A lot of people told me that I wasn't going to actually get my degree. A lot of people said I wouldn't want to finish once I realized how much work it is. The few people that actually thought I would graduate all told me it would take me at least four years in order to get this degree that is supposed to be a two-year plan. All of these people were adamant that I already had a decent job so I shouldn't worry about going back to school. Why should I put myself through the stress of school when I don't need it and I won't finish it?
After checking and double checking and emailing advisers, I know that I will be graduating after working for two years. Knowing how I've proved everyone wrong and I will be graduating and I will have done this in two years and I haven't given up is probably more satisfying than actually getting this degree. Maybe not more satisfying, but at least equally satisfying. I love knowing that I have proved all of these people wrong. I love the fact that many of the people that tried to discourage me from going back to school are some of the same people that tried to belittle me throughout my time at my previous job. These were the same people that wanted to make me feel like I didn't mater and that I was going nowhere in life. I love that I'm proving all of these people wrong and I am doing something with my life.
In the fall I plan on transferring to UTD in order to start working on my Bachelor's degree. I'm fairly certain that even though I technically only have two years left until I get that degree, it will probably take me longer than two in order to graduate with that degree. I know that transferring from a two-year program at a community college to a four-year program at a university like UTD will be a major change. I know the classes I will take will be more intense and I probably wont be able to take as many classes as I have been. Getting my Bachelor's will by no means be an easy feat.
I'm perfectly okay with this. I've already proven so many people that doubted me wrong. And now I'm surrounded by friends and coworkers that actually have faith that I can and I will succeed. I know that although it will be a long process, I have the support I need.
I love seeing how things have changed in the past two years. I can finally see an end in sight to this endless school work.
You should be very proud of yourself! Congratulations future fellow Comet!
ReplyDeleteThank you! I'm looking forward to this next big step forward!
Delete