Thursday, November 15, 2012

Revisiting PETA

In a post a little over a year ago, I wrote about how I dislike PETA I talked about how I dislike PETA and why. Now, I've been tasked with writing an essay over the objectification of women for my Mass Communications class and I really think that there is no single better way to prove that objectifying women does nothing good for your cause.

Yes, women (and men) are objectified throughout society. It happens in commercials for hair products, liquor, cars and beauty products. Women are shown as nothing more than a pretty face to endorse a product. I feel like the way PETA hides behind this facade that they're trying to raise awareness (and force everyone to live in the same lifestyle as they are) it is even more despicable. The more research I do in order to prove this point, the more disgusted I am with the entire organization.

As someone that was a vegetarian for a little over ten years and only recently started eating chicken because I was advised to do so by my doctor due to the lack of protein I was getting, I hate the fact that such a well known organization tries to force any lifestyle on people. The fact that PETA tries to guilt people into veganism is a terrible thing for society. The way they target young kids and teenagers with PETA2 is even more abhorrent. Even today, I feel like people should be able to eat what they like and live the life they want.

When I was a vegetarian I would always try to make sure that my personal choice did not affect those around me. PETA seems dead set on forcing their eating choice on everyone. Then trying to guilt you for doing something that they don't agree with. You know what I don't agree with? Objectifying women and sexualizing this matter of animal rights and marketing this to people everywhere and creating a separate part of your corporation that targets young people.

No comments:

Post a Comment