Saturday, September 10, 2011

9-11 Ten Year Anniversary

This is the ten year anniversary of the 9/11 attacks on the United States. I've been watching a lot of documentaries and specials on this subject, and there is something that makes me a bit sad about this entire week.

Everything is focused in the planes crashing into the Two Towers in New York.

Yes, that was a devastating affair, but that is not the only place that was hit that day. What about DC? What about the families that were lost in the Pentagon? What about the plane that crashed in Pennsylvania?

I lived in DC when the attacks happened. My father worked in the Pentagon at the time. I lived on a military base and had friends that lost family members in these attacks. Where is the recognition for these families that were destroyed in the attacks? Where is the remembrance for all that was done in DC Pennsylvania?

I understand that there where far more lives lost and destroyed in the attacks in New York, but why did everyone seem to forget about the attacks that happened elsewhere? Why did everyone forget about the parents that were lost in the other attacks? Why did everyone forget about the spouses that will never be told "I love you" again? Why did we all forget about the brothers and sisters that will never have those sibling fights again? Why did we all forget about those two other attacks?

I didn't forget.

I remember that day like no other. I remember watching the attacks in my sixth-grade classroom. I remember teachers crying because they lost a spouse. I remember hugging my classmates because none of us were sure if any of our family members had made it out in time. I remember waiting an additional four hours past the usual traffic for my father to return from work because we weren't sure if he made it out alive. I remember hearing reports of planes that were supposed to be landing in the middle of major highways to evacuate important officials in DC. I remember friends crying because their parents were lost that day. I remember the traffic that caused my father to not be able to come home until 8 o'clock at night and left us all questioning if he had made it out alive. I remember the Metro system drastically changing after the 9/11 attacks. I remember seeing the Pentagon only a week after the attacks and breaking down in tears. I remember going to New York a month after the attacks and breaking down in tears yet again. I remember watching the Pentagon being rebuilt in the few months after the attacks, ending up with a wall that you would never be able to be able to see where a plane had hit the Pentagon.

I remember. And I was only ten.

Why can't the rest of the country seem to remember that it wasn't only New York that was hit?

No comments:

Post a Comment