Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Bell's Lets Talk Day



Today is Bell's Lets Talk Day - a day to support mental health programs in Canada. As someone that has struggled their entire life, this is an amazing campaign that really touches me. Struggling with mental disorders has consumed over twenty years of my life so far. This isn't something I'm proud of, but it is something I'm learning not to be so ashamed of.

I have always been ashamed of my body, developing a severe eating habit (or more correct, a habit of not eating) at a very young age. I struggled with it for so long that I forget that it isn't something that every person has to deal with. I have always struggled in social situations, trying to please everyone and constantly fearing that I would let them down. I have spent many hours trying to recover from panic attacks.

And I didn't want anyone to know. I didn't want people to know how weak and broken I was. When I would work up the courage to tell someone that I thought there was something wrong, I was often told that I needed to "suck it up" and that it was just a mood. When I would receive this response, it made me less inclined to seek out help. It made me less willing to talk to anyone about it. This was just all in my head, I was broken.

It wasn't until a friend of mine actually sat down and talked to me one day a few years ago that I realized I wasn't alone. I spent so many years being ashamed that it was amazing to finally be able to open up and tell someone that I needed help. Having that person reach out was what helped me realize that I could ask for help. I wasn't alone.

Simply talking with someone is one of the best ways to start breaking down the barriers associated with mental illness.

And if you are struggling, remember what you're worth. Remember you are valuable. Remember that you are repairable. Remember that you're worth fighting for. Remember that you are not a punching bag, you are not a doormat. 

2 comments:

  1. Why not call a "severe eating habit" what it actually is. An eating disorder or at least disordered eating. I believe calling it a severe eating habit minimizes it. Perhaps you can elaborate more because I personally believe it is an important issue (body issues, vulnerability, acceptance, etc.) But I digress. Have you been to a professional regarding your eating habits? If not, incorrectly labeling a mental illness is not good for you or for the mental health community. You seem like you have been honest about a lot of really terrible things on your site which I am sorry to hear about. No one deserves what you have gone through. I guess what I am trying to point out here is call it what it is so that it brings awareness to a massive mental health community. You have a lot to say ad a lot to offer. I hope you have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been to, and continue to see, a professional about many things, one being my eating disorder. The point of this post wasn't so much to focus on eating disorders, I just wanted to take a moment to bring light to this amazing campaign and let anyone out there know that they can always reach out to me if they need someone to listen.

      I hope you have a fantastic day and come back again!

      Delete