Friday, October 25, 2013

Anxiety and Recovery

For most of my life, I've felt like there is something wrong with me. I thought that there must be something that was broken and unfixable and just wrongwith me because of the way I feel in so many situations in life. I have spent so much time feeling like I was doing something wrong and that there was something wrong with me.

But there isn't.

Anxiety and depression and social phobias aren't exactly "normal" but dealing with them doesn't mean I'm broken. It means I'm human. It means I'm one in millions of people that deal with these same struggles every day. It doesn't mean I'm broken. It doesn't mean I'm unfixable. It doesn't mean I'm crazy. It is just part of who I am.

I've spent so much of my life feeling so uncomfortable in my own skin and feeling like there is something inherently wrong with me. And , only in the last few months, I've actually decided to get help. I started seeing a psychiatrist and trying to learn why I feel the way I do. And I've learned that I'm not broken, I just need help. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with this. There is nothing to be ashamed about needing to talk with someone about these problems. There is nothing wrong with needing medication. This is not something to be ashamed about. This is just part of who I am.

I have spent so much of my life trying hide these problems. I wish that I had known that it is okay to need help. I grew up in a home that not only exacerbated these problems, but one that taught me that I should be ashamed of them. Now, I know that it is okay to need help. I know that I am not alone. While I know that I have a long way to go, I finally feel like there is hope for me.

A huge part of dealing with all of this has been just learning more about it. As they say, knowledge is power and beginning to understand what I'm dealing with has helped me more than I could have imagined. I'm learning how I can manage a panic attack, how to keep in mind that this will pass. I've been able to create tools that will get me through my tough days, because there will always be difficult days. I'm trying to focus on not being so critical of myself. I'm working on learning to accept myself.

While I know there is still a long ways to go, I finally feel like I'm on the right path.

No comments:

Post a Comment