Friday, July 19, 2013

Lifescouts Friday: Growing Up

I hope you all have a wonderful Friday and enjoy the first (official) day of summer! I know I haven't been keeping up with my regular Lifescouts posts, life just seemed to get a bit too busy for the past couple of weeks. I'm going to do my best to keep up with posting on a more regular basis, I know I need to get back to a "schedule". This week's series seems to focus on Childhood and Growing Up.

 Baking Cookies

I love to bake. I loved to bake and cook things as a kid. This young love has translated well as an adult. I love baking cookies and cakes and pies and bread and various other dishes for people. Oddly enough, I never actually want to eat any of the sweets I bake simply because I don't like sweets. So I like to give them to people. I've baked cookies for bands that we know, friends that have been in town and even birthdays and shipped them out.



 Gymnastics

When I was younger, I took gymnastics. I really enjoyed it, the bar work was my favorite part. There was something amazing about leaping from low bars to high bars and back again and all of the flipping that you could do that I just loved. The balance beam exercises were always fun once we got past all of the basics. I wasn't as into the floor exercises, though. I was probably in gymnastics for a good four years, but then I moved and didn't pick it up in our new city.



 Juggling 

This is one of those useless talents I learned at a summer camp. I'm not very good, I can juggle three things (four if I'm having a good day) before whatever I'm juggling is dropped. While I have very little hand-eye coordination, I can still manage to juggle for several minutes until my brain remembers that it doesn't want to cooperate and I drop everything.





Jump Rope

Who didn't learn how to jump rope when they were a kid? I loved the days in elementary school that the teachers would just throw a bunch of random activities out and tell us to amuse ourselves (I have a secret suspicion that most gym teachers hate gym as much as the students). Learning to jump rope was just a part of elementary school, a part of school that stayed the same despite having to attend numerous elementary schools.



Climb a Tree

I always wanted to have a treehouse growing up, but I knew I wouldn't be in one place long enough to justify actually building one. So I made do with climbing trees. What kid didn't have that secret desire to learn how to fly? Just me? Okay... Climbing trees as high as I could was as close as I could get to that feeling. Especially when things got tough, it was nice to be able to climb as high as I could go and hide forever (or hours, they seem the same when you're young).

No comments:

Post a Comment