Thursday, July 18, 2013

Foster number four is out there somewhere

At the beginning of June, Austin and I decided to foster our third dog with Paws in the City, Mack. While we thought he was going to be adopted after only a couple of days, he ended up staying with us for almost a month before he got adopted. It's been almost two weeks since Mack was adopted, and I've noticed that our home seems to be a bit empty (and I'm sure Sam is feeling a bit lonely). So, I've decided to get in touch with PITC to start looking for a third foster.

The funny thing is, I never thought that being a foster would be something I would want to do over a long period of time. I approached fostering as a chance to try to find a dog that would fit into my home, it was a way to see if a pet would fit into my life. I thought that I would foster once or twice and fall in love with a dog and then never do it again. I didn't think that I would enjoy it as much as I do.

I didn't see myself as someone that would be able to take care of a dog for an undetermined amount of time and then be able to let them go. I thought that I would just get too attached. And I do get attached, but knowing that they're going to a new home with a fresh start somehow makes it bearable when I have to drop them off. It is a great feeling knowing that I've been able to not only help this pet, but also the family that it will be living with.

We're still in the early stages of finding the next foster for our family, but I'm looking forward to seeing who we can help next. I'm looking forward to meeting this new dog and welcoming them into my home for however long is necessary. 

No comments:

Post a Comment