Monday, January 7, 2013

Could there actually be a hockey season?

Sunday morning I woke up to find twitter abuzz about something that I actually found interesting. It wasn't some pop-star was pregnant or a new Justin Bieber or One Direction song. This was something that was actually important. The NHL and NHLPA have come to an agreement and there's going to (finally) be hockey again!!

After my initial "Oh my god! It's finally happened! Hockey's back!!" I began to really look at this new deal. And, technically, there's isn't any signed deal yet that has been approved. So, hockey technically isn't back yet. But it's return is imminent. Every time I see a tweet or post about the return of hockey, I have to try not to get too excited since, you know, it isn't official yet. Everyone seems to assume that just because it's been drafted, it is automatically going to happen. People seem to be forgetting one little fact: The NHL Board of Governors has yet to agree to this deal.

The Board of Governors isn't supposed to meet until Wednesday, so I'm not making plans to watch any hockey until I hear an announcement from them about the return of the season. I'm not going to have my heart ripped out once again if they decide to toss this deal. It really wouldn't surprise me if they did. Sometimes I feel like been a hockey fan is more heartbreaking than being a fan of Sherlock. Everyone gets really excited because the NHLPA and the owners are meeting only to have no deal. Then they meet again and say they're close to a deal only to come back with nothing. And now they actually have a CBA (that could be in place for ten years!) and all it needs is the approval of the Board of Governors.

And while I am glad that there might actually be a season, I wont be planning to spend any of my money on going to a game or purchasing any jerseys or other merchandise. I know that my small amount really is nothing but a drop in the bucket, but I'm still not going to spend money on hockey. I'll be more than willing to watch the games at home or at a friend's house or at a bar, but I wont be spending my money to go to the games. While there are some people that are saying they're completely done with hockey and won't be going back, I find that attitude to be a bit ridiculous. Yes, I'm mad that they've subjected me to this much football and basketball talk since there is no hockey. Yes, I am mad that they've really put a strain on those that work at the stadiums, for the teams and those that work around the stadiums. But I still love hockey. I plan on going to games next season, but not nearly as many as I had been. If both the players and the owners don't value the fans (which they have both shown with their selfishness), then I can find ways to enjoy hockey without spending as much money as I had been. If they don't value the fans, why should this fan give them my money.

Anyways, enough of my ranting. Hockey might be back! Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment