Friday, October 12, 2012

Perks of Being a Wallflower

For my Mass Comm. class I've been assigned to write a movie review. Since it has been quite a while since I posted one here, I figured I would share it with all of you. 


One of my favorite books is Perks of Being a Wallflower. I've read this book more times than I can count and I've highlighted and written all over it. While it may be hard for anyone else to read, this book holds a special place in my heart. I've had this book through some of the toughest times in my life, and reading my commentary is like looking into the past. 

So, when I heard that Perks was being turned into a movie, I was thrilled, yet also hesitant. Would this movie be able to live up to my expectations? Would the actors be able to portray the characters as I have known them? Would the actors even look like I have always seen them? Would the writers and directors and producers cut out some of my favorite parts? Could this movie possibly be everything I wanted it to be? 

Maybe it wasn't everything I wanted it to be, but it certainly came close. As with all books, there were certain scenes and chapters that were taken out. But, since Stephen Chbosky is not only the author of the book, but he also wrote the screen play and was the director, I felt like these were all allowable changes. Yes, I loved the scene in the book when Charlie describes MASH ending and I loved reading about the relationship Charlie had with his sister and how he took her to get an abortion and I loved reading about how Charlie's relationship grew with his brother and sister. But, having all of those aspects taken out really does increase the focus on Charlie and his journey through his first year of high school. 

Logan Lerman was the perfect Charlie. He was quite and awkward and sweet. Lerman was really a shoe-in for the part. And after seeing him in a few other things (anyone remember his awkward, sweet, confused Percy Jackson?), I knew that he would make for a great Charlie. Emma watson as Sam... Well, she didn't do as bad as I thought she would. I know she was a perfect Hermione, but she's been in many an interview when she's been asked to do an American accent and it has been nothing short of painful. So when she was announced to play the beloved (and very American) Sam, I wasn't expecting much. After the first few scenes she was in, her accent improved and I was able to enjoy her portrayal as Sam. She was sweet, tough, loving, and theatrical. Emma was a great Sam, just try to hold out past her first few scenes). Ezra Miller as Patrick was just... Perfect. He was able to sarcastic and funny without once ever being a complete ass. He was sweet and sad and charming. Miller really did embrace Patrick.

This movie wasn't trying (and it really couldn't 'have) to focus on very aspect of Charlie's life and how he grew. This was a movie about growing as an individual. This was a movie about coming out of your shell. This is a movie about learning who you are. This is a movie about accepting all of the things that have happened to you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment