Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Just an Update

I've had several people get in touch with me over the past week to figure out how the whole cancer process was going. Instead of telling everyone individually and repeating myself over and over, I figure I'll post it here for you all to read and get the same information.

I went in just a little over four weeks ago to have a procedure done that would hopefully remove all of the cancerous cells and leave me healthy. I then had doctor's orders to take it easy and to take off the next week of work to rest and recover and heal. I didn't (a fact that I really don't want to talk about right now for fear of the fact I'll say something I really shouldn't) and proceeded to go to work the next week. Other than my cecchetti exam, I really didn't do much. I took it very easy at ballet for the next week and tried to give myself time to recover. Being anemic, the biggest fear the doctors had was that I would reopen a wound and begin to bleed profusely. That would have really sucked.

Last Wednesday, I went in for a follow up for the doctor to tell me that I was in fact healed and cancer free. Well, that didn't happen. Apparently there are an abundance of abnormal cells that have popped up everywhere. Because I'm still in the process of healing and getting over the last procedure, the doctor really can't say more without doing another set of biopsies. She's worried that this is in fact precancerous cells. Awesome. There is a slim chance that this might just be scar tissue that didn't have time to heal properly and due to the heavy stress I was on at work the following week. With the family history I have, she's worried is the firsts option. On top of this wonderful news, she would like for me to come in once a month to have a complete workup done to monitor white blood cells and a bunch of other stuff that I just honestly stopped listening to. She, in actually a really nice and wonderful way, said that I will get cancer at some point and it will be serious so I need to keep a constant watch on everything.

I have yet another appointment in a couple weeks for the doctors to run some more tests and biopsies and blood work and all that fun stuff. I'm not looking forward to it at all. Maybe I'm just being pessimistic about this entire thing since I was extremely shocked by the news I received last week, but I don't think its just scar tissue. Looking at my own family history and knowing what I do, I really don't think I'll be lucky enough to have this all just be a little problem that I've been worrying about for no reason. After thinking about it, I really don't know if I will go in for a full workup every month even if it is cancer. At this time, I'm thinking I'll have them remove it like last time then just wait until my next annual appointment. I don't know if I want to put myself through the trouble of a doctors appointment and needles every month for god-knows how long until they find something serious. Again, this might just be me being all depressed and pessimistic about the entire situation, but I think I'd rather just go once, remove it, and continue a semi-normal life until they tell me it is a serious problem. I don't know if I want to go through the stress that doing this monthly checkup. If I can at least throw this entire matter to the back of my mind for eleven months of the year, then I'm going to do just that very thing.

I'll know more after my next appointment in a couple weeks about what exactly is wrong and how bad this entire situation is and I'll then make the decision on whether or not I will actually schedule monthly appointments. Either way, I'll let you all know something about what the outcome is of everything.

Well, enough of this wonderful, cheery post. I will talk to you all soon! And don't worry, next time I wont be quite as moody and upset as I am now.

1 comment:

  1. I will respect whatever choice you make but I hope you fight it with everything you have. It sucks and I'm sorry you have to go through this.

    ReplyDelete