Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Is college really necessary?

I am not a college graduate. I see no reason that I need to go to college. College used to be a way for the elite to set themselves apart from the rest of the workforce. Now, almost everyone has a college degree. And hundreds of thousands of dollars of debt with no real experience to show for their years of work.

From the day you start your freshman year of high school, students are told that they need to be thinking about which college they would like to go to and what they would like to major in and what they would like to do after college. Some people may have been able to answer this question, I was not one of those people. I went through high school unsure about what I wanted to do and what I wanted to major in. I was going to enroll in a state school, take out loans that wouldn't cover the scholarships I would receive, and go to school. I thought this was what people did. I thought this was the only way to make it in the world. Instead, my (then boyfriend, now husband) and I decided to move to Dallas (where he is from). We were both lucky that his parents do have a lot of connections and they were able to help us get jobs that we both love. And now, I've been working for the property management company for one of the largest buildings in Dallas. People are amazed I'm as young as I am. They are also astonished that I didn't go to college.

I've noticed that a lot of my friends that have gone to college are starting to begin their search for a job. The complaint I hear most from these friends is that all prospective employers are looking for someone with experience. Yet, none of these newly graduated people have experience. I've been at my current job for the past three years, gaining real work experience. Building my resume. Becoming a desirable employee. And, honestly, my resume is pretty awesome. And when you consider that the education you have is listed on the second page or at the bottom of your one-page resume, and the fact that the average employer only looks at a resume for roughly 5-10 seconds, most employers won't notice your education until you are actually called in for an interview. That is, if you're lucky enough to get called in for an interview with no experience to speak of.

I'm not saying college is bad or worthless. I'm saying people that feel you will get nowhere in life without a piece of paper are wrong. I know that education is important, but thinking you're not going to be as much of an asset or you're not as valuable of an employee is wrong.

And for the record, I am looking into going back to school. Just because I like to learn, not because I have to. And I think that is going to make all the difference.

2 comments:

  1. I have to say I agree with you for the most part. I recently graduated with a bachelors. My parents just assumed that I would go to college, so I did. Never really thought about it. Luckily, its where I met my DH. However I don't really feel as if it is worth anything. I majored in management but can't get management jobs because I don't have any management experience. I have a job that I love right now (but pays crappy) working at a dog kennel all because my resume is filled with all the dog related activities I've done (which did include a college internship at an animal shelter and a summer job at a kennel). So it really is having work experience that counts.
    Although, I do believe college can be beneficial.. for those that know exactly what they want and show it. You can't just sit around and take college classes, these people are involved in their school and in things related to their major so that they build up their resume. Plus, school is beneficial for those going for a masters or doctorates which makes you a little more valuable then a bachelors or associates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the entire pretense of college is greatly exaggerated. I would guess that 70% of the students that attend college immediately after graduating high school are doing it because they feel like it's something they need to do or should do, not because they want to learn more. For those that are attending college because they want to, it's a great thing. But, I know in my situation, I would have been wasting $100K in student loans for a degree that I know wouldn't do me much good now.

    ReplyDelete