Sunday, September 2, 2012

The Doctor is back

Last night was the start of the newest season of Doctor who. And, honestly, I wasn't as impressed as I thought I was going to be.

I've been looking forward to the new season since BBC announced the newest companion in May and then when they released the teaser and promos in the last month. Watching "Living with the Ponds" definitely added to my excitement. BBC also had an all day marathon leading up to the premiere.

The episode started off really exciting, the Doctor and Amy and Rory were all abducted by Daleks. This is very, very bad as all Whovians know. Then the plot twist because the Daleks have captured the Doctor to save them. And the Doctor is sent to the place where the "ruined" Daleks are held because they can't destroy something they consider beautiful, pure hatred. All very exciting.

But then, things get kinda lame. Without sharing too much with those of you that haven't seen the episode, I felt the rest of the episode relied on the same gimmicks as the last two seasons. There was so much of the whole theme of forgetting that was throughout the previous seasons that I felt like we were just falling back on the same story. Season five was all about how the crack in the universe was causing Amy to forget things, people to be erased and forgotten, and eventually Amy remembered and brought them back. It was awesome! Season six was a bit more with the whole remember/forget theme. Amy wasn't real and forgot she was actually pregnant, had a baby, and didn't realize River was her daughter. Now, season seven is opening with the same theme. People forgot they were Daleks and forgot they were human. Sorry, Moffat, but I'm getting a bit tired of this theme. Isn't it time to start moving on?

The thing that really bothered me most of all about the season opener is (spoiler alert) the Daleks forgot about the Doctor. This bothers me not only because of the theme previously mentioned, but it also gets rid of one of the biggest villains in this 50 year old show. How can you make the Daleks forget about the Doctor?? I've been a little (read that VERY) annoyed that the writers have pretty much stopped including old characters. A slight remark here and there that alludes to the previous regenerations is nice, but why are old characters not included anymore? Angels have been erased from time so they're not happeneing, the story with the Master is finished, and now Daleks are gone. What about maybe including a previous companion or two? Maybe bring back Jack and the Face of Bo? K-9? Sarah Jane? SOMETHING!?!

I'm sorry Moffat, but I'm also tired of the same in-your-face writing that you're so fond of. All of season five, it was all about this crack. What is this crack? Guys, there's a crack here too! Guys, did you notice that Rory is erased from time by the crack?! Guys! The crack!! Season six he was all about River's story. Guys, don't you want to know who River is? What is River's story? Guys! Here's River's story! River is Melody! Bet you didn't see that coming! Oh! Doctor Who! What's the question? What's the answer?! AREN'T YOU GUYS EXCITED?!

Sorry, that writing is just really grating after a time. Remember season three? With the whole YANA thing? or season one with the entire Bad Wolf? What happened to that sort of subtle writing that would really drive, not only an episode, but the entire series? I'm far from giving up on a show I've been watching since I was six, but I am really tired of this gimmicky style of writing. Please, Moffat and fellow writers give me something more this season. Please bring back the Doctor Who I loved and still want to love the same way!

Wow... So this turned into more of a rant of Moffat's writing and stuff. Oh well. I feel like it needed to be said.

No comments:

Post a Comment