Tuesday, August 14, 2012

American Aquarium - Burn. Flicker. Die


I think I speak for all American Aquarium fans when I say this: It's about fucking time!

I've been waiting (not so patiently) for their latest album since they announced via twitter last year that they were going to be recording this album with Jason Isbell producing said album. Then they launched their (never updated) Kickstarted project. And then they would tour and play songs off of said upcoming album. It honestly felt like I was never going to actually see the fruition of their time spent in the studio. I was also beginning to think that I had hyped up this album too much in my own head.

Then, something magical happened. I got the link to download the album yesterday. Even more magical than that? I lives up to everything I hoped and dreamed and knew it would be. And for that, I just want to say Thank you, boys, for not letting me down.

Since the first time I saw them four years ago, I fell in love with them and have been a very dedicated fan very since. Like all things, there have been changes not only in the band, but in their sound. As they've grown, they have created something solidly their own. Not exactly country, not exactly rock, not exactly alternative; American Aquarium embodies all of this and more. BJ is the same gifted lyricist that I fell in love with. Maybe he doesn't write quite as many songs about whores that will break your heart, but he still knows how to create not only a song, but an entire album that can embody everything you're feeling. Good or bad, happy or sad, Burn. Flicker. Die. is going to become your go-to album for all emotion.

I have been listening to Burn. Flicker. Die. solidly for the past two days and I regret nothing. Now all that's left is to hope hey ship the record to the right house since I move this weekend...

1 comment: