I did it! I finished my first recital! Not only as a dancer, but also acting as a dance class mom! And, all things considered, it went pretty well.
First, I would just like to say congratulations to all of the dancers at Arabesque for another beautiful recital. Many people don't realize all of the time and effort that goes into a recital. Honestly, before this year, I was one of those people. Not only do the dancers and their teachers put forth a lot of effort in the months leading up to the recital, but so do the moms, the volunteers, the assistants, and the stage hands. Without all of these people to make a recital, they would never be as great as they are. Acting not only as a dancer but also as a dance class mom, I found out just how much work goes into making sure that the audience sees a beautiful production. Congratulations to everyone that was involved in this year's annual production.
Even though I was only in four dances in this year's recital, I spent most of my time running around trying to get my girls all ready for their dances. And when several of my girls were in 7+ dances, it made for a busy day of running around backstage to get accessories, shoes, and to help dress them. Also, since one of my girls slid down the steps during the dress rehearsal, I spent much of my free time during dress rehearsal making sure she wasn't too upset or hurt. I was glad that the crayons and coloring book I brought for the girls came in handy. Instead of spending the dress rehearsal upset she might not dance, she was able to distract herself. After my stint as a dance class mom, I definitely have more respect and appreciation for the dance moms.
Also, as I mentioned before (you know, in the paragraph you just read) one of the girls slid down some steps backstage during the dress rehearsal. Actually, it was before dress rehearsal even started. This girl is an amazing dancer and was in 9 or 10 dances in the show. And, when any dancer hurts her foot or leg, it is a very devastating thing to deal with on show day. When you've been practicing for months and months and bought your costumes and been to all of the rehearsals, having something happen before you even step out on stage is just heart breaking. After our lunch break, I was thrilled to hear she was going to be doing all but two of her dances. And this girl danced beautifully. By the end she was in extreme pain and ready to get off the stage, but she did a great job and everyone was proud of her.
But, alas, she wasn't the only injury to happen. Another one of my girls fell mid dance. Again, another fabulous dancer who had also been dancing for 10+ years that had to deal with an injury. Sadly, since she fell mid-dance and there were only a few more dances left, four dances that she had to do. She didn't really take time to assess the damage, she just changed and went on to her next dance. And the next. And the next. And the finale. A few people told me later that they were amazed that not only she went back out, but when she danced she didn't show that she was in any pain. She danced beautifully and was thrilled when the final curtain closed and she could relax and get off the stage.
Also, another one of my girls (again, she's in 10+ dances and been dancing just as long) was incredibly sick the day before. She managed to get strep and didn't make it to rehearsals the day before. She told us she had to have two shots and still felt pretty terrible. Yet, when she got out there, she was just beautiful and perfect. I'm so glad she was able to make it through all of her dances and do such a great job. Even though she was a bit out of it the entire day... But I guess that's what two large shots of antibiotics will do to a girl.
I'm proud not only of my girls that danced through their pain, but all of the other girls. Also, since this was Mel's and my first recital, we were excited to get through the entire thing without any mistakes (I'm just as amazed as you are). It was a fabulous experience and I can't wait for next year's!
Although, I could do without two of my girls getting hurt and one being incredibly sick.
No comments:
Post a Comment