Courage will always require an element of leaving. Leaving is just plain hard.
Leaving comfort for courage makes me want to wrap my arms around every ounce of safety in my life, hoping if I hold on tight enough that I won’t have to taste the pain of the leaving what I know is inevitable. Leaving comfort and safety looks and sounds alluring and attractive, but the attraction fades quickly—in fact, I have never felt so vulnerable, small, and needy...words that are not known for their alluring appeal.
Moving from comfort to courage will cause you to question your decision. It will cause you to look around for the safety bars, seatbelt, and any kind of security button. You will look for the easy way out because maybe this isn't worth it.
Moving from comfort to courage will cause you to try to make something happen. You will scheme, make phone calls, send out Hail Mary e-mails—anything to distract from sitting in the fear.
Moving from comfort to courage will cause you to doubt your abilities. You will look at everything that you have failed at in the past—failed relationships, failed financial decisions, failed leadership calls—and you will wonder if you will repeat those patterns and if they are indicators to go out and look for comfort again.
Moving from comfort to courage will cause you to be jealous of your neighbors. They all seem to be perfectly content with their lives. You will wonder if you are some sort of crazy person that has a unhealthy propensity to live on the edge.
Moving from comfort to courage will cause you to white knuckle yourself around anything that feels secure and semi-safe.
Moving from comfort to courage will cause others to question you. Especially those that have found security to be a bedrock to build their lives on. You will be misunderstood, questioned, and perhaps even seen as foolish.
I am terrified, but I am willing to try.
Leaving comfort for courage makes me want to wrap my arms around every ounce of safety in my life, hoping if I hold on tight enough that I won’t have to taste the pain of the leaving what I know is inevitable. Leaving comfort and safety looks and sounds alluring and attractive, but the attraction fades quickly—in fact, I have never felt so vulnerable, small, and needy...words that are not known for their alluring appeal.
Moving from comfort to courage will cause you to question your decision. It will cause you to look around for the safety bars, seatbelt, and any kind of security button. You will look for the easy way out because maybe this isn't worth it.
Moving from comfort to courage will cause you to try to make something happen. You will scheme, make phone calls, send out Hail Mary e-mails—anything to distract from sitting in the fear.
Moving from comfort to courage will cause you to doubt your abilities. You will look at everything that you have failed at in the past—failed relationships, failed financial decisions, failed leadership calls—and you will wonder if you will repeat those patterns and if they are indicators to go out and look for comfort again.
Moving from comfort to courage will cause you to be jealous of your neighbors. They all seem to be perfectly content with their lives. You will wonder if you are some sort of crazy person that has a unhealthy propensity to live on the edge.
Moving from comfort to courage will cause you to white knuckle yourself around anything that feels secure and semi-safe.
Moving from comfort to courage will cause others to question you. Especially those that have found security to be a bedrock to build their lives on. You will be misunderstood, questioned, and perhaps even seen as foolish.
I am terrified, but I am willing to try.
Keep on fighting and working and don't let the fear get to you.
ReplyDelete