I've recently (meaning last Thursday) started a new job. WIth this job, comes the average difficulties that pretty much everyone feels. You have to learn your job. You have to learn the databases used. You have to figure out the right people that you can get reliable information from. You have to figure out who has all of the really good snacks at their desk. You have to learn about the corporate culture. You have to learn about the unspoken dress code.
What I have forgotten about was that these are all people that want to know about me as well.
And I've realized that, as a young woman and the youngest in the office, people seem to have some sort of idea that they are allowed to comment on my life choices. I know that people generally don't mean to be rude or annoying, they are trying to start a conversation, but it doesn't make me want ot hear these comments any more.
People love to comment on your appearance no matter where you go. But, maybe because they're trying to start up a conversation with someone new in the office, coworkers love to point out my height. Maybe I missed the memo, but I don't really think talking about my height is that interesting. It isn't a compliment to come up and tell me, "Wow, you're tall" or ask me about the fact if I like basketball or have ever played (No, I don't and I didn't). It wasn't like I chose to be tall. It isn't like I had any say in the matter. It is annoying.
When people realize that I got married at twenty, the almost unanimous resopnse is "Don't you think that's a bit too young to get married?" Whether or not it is, isn't that my choice? And does it really matter since it already happened? What good is going ot come of people saying I shouldn't have done that? I can't exactly pop into my time machine and change that. It is done. It is over.
After finding out about being married, people always, without fail, ask if I have kids. When I tell them know and they ask me if I'm planning on having kids and I again respond in the negative, they smile and respond with "Oh, but someday you will." No, I think I know that I don't want kids. I've known myself for more than twenty years while you have only known me for twenty seconds. Don't try to tell me what I really want out of life. If I didn't want kids ten years ago and still hold this opinion, I can be fairly certain this isn't something will change.
Then there's always the dreaded questions about my family. Other than my two brothers, I don't talk to (nor have any desire to talk to) any of my family. They are all pretty terrible people and I have been much happier since I have been able to cut them out of my life. When coworkers ask me about my family, I always get those sad looks when I tell them I don't talk to my parents. No, this isn't a sad thing. This is wonderful. "Oh, but family is everything!" they like to respond. Actually, no, it isn't. Sometimes familes are absolute shit. And people are better for cutting them out.
Just because I'm new here doesn't mean I don't know about insurance. I know that as people often change jobs into a feild they have no experience in, but when I tell you I understand StopLoss and Specific Deductibles and contract types, please don't feel the need to try and explain them to me. I know what it is. I know you want to help, but you're wasting time. I am actually here to work. I actually really do want ot start working and not have to been in this "training" phase anymore. Show me how to work the systems and databases and let me get to work. Trust me, if I have questions, which I'm sure I will, I will ask. But let's not waste each other's time by going through Self-funded 101.
All in all, I really do like this new position. I just don't really like this first week where everyone wants to try to learn all about me when all I want to do is learn how to do my job properly.
No comments:
Post a Comment