Monday, December 3, 2012

Meet Sam!


We've been looking for a dog since we bought a house. When we started fostering Sheba, we thought we might have found the dog for us until we realized that Sheba just wasn't going to get along with our cats.  Sheba was adopted by a young couple a little over a month ago and Austin and I have been looking for a dog (and one that would get along with our cats).

On Sunday, we went to the Dallas Animal Services to see if we could find a dog that would fit in out home. This little guy is Sam (Samwise, really) and he's a seven month old Norwegian Elkhound. Although, I'm really not seeing that in him at all... Last night he came to realize that he absolutely loves jumping from the ottoman to the couch to the ottoman to the chair. Since he is still a puppy, I think he'll be pretty easy to train. We will have to work around the fact that I don't think he's had to deal with being in a kennel all day. Sam does seem to be a very smart dog, so he shouldn't be too difficult to train.

There will be many more (better quality) pictures of little Sam posted along with all of his status updates on how he's adjusting to living in a home.

Also, I wanted to make note that the Dallas Animal Services is one of the nicest shelters I've seen. The dogs are all in fairly large rooms and kennels. The staff do a pretty good job of keeping everything clean (as clean as possible when you have that many dogs to take care of) and the dogs are taken care of. I was also amazed at how many of their dogs are listed as "Very Special Pets" and the already low adoption fee is waived. So, if you're looking for a pet in the DFW area, I would highly suggest taking a look there. Maybe you could end up saving a dog or cat's life.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on the new puppy! The picutre makes it look like he's a lab/shepherd mix but apparently Norwegian Elkhound come in black too... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Norwegian_Elkhound

    ReplyDelete
  2. We think he might have fox terrier in him. Sam's body is a bit like a fox terrier and his head and face seem to fit the Elkhound. Whatever he is, he's a smart boy!

    ReplyDelete