Monday, December 10, 2012

It Snowed!

This morning, I woke up to find out that Dallas had received its first snowfall of the season. And by "snowfall" I mean a very light dusting of powder that barely covered the ground. It was nice to be able to wake up and have it actually feel like its Christmas time with the snow and not the 70's that we've had for the past couple of weeks.

I could understand Sam's confusion about this cold white stuff that covered his lawn, he was absolutely baffled by it. Since this is the first winter he's been through, snow was obviously a new and different experience. Sam kept trying to play in it then he would bark at it. Like I said, he was baffled by the snow. I'm curious to see how he would react if there was a real snowfall in Dallas... I'm sure that would be fun for both him and me both.

Sadly, my amusement with this light dusting of snow ended there simply for the fact that people in Dallas forget how to drive when you even throw around the"s" word. Even though there wasn't snow on the roads and there was no fear about ice on the streets, people feel the need to try and drive 10-15 MPH below the speed limit. Why?? Do people here just not realize that just because its cold outside they are allowed to drive the speed limit? I'm all for being a cautious driver, but it is just ridiculous trying to get anywhere. My usual 15 minute morning commute took a whole 25 minutes!

I know, I should be used to dealing with these drivers since I have been in Texas for a little over four years. But I'm not. It still drives me up the wall. I hate slow drivers on a good day so when there's anything but sunshine and Dallas forgets how to drive, it really makes me question how these people get anywhere on time. I'm also baffled by the reaction to the snow because I lived in DC and New York for several years. A dusting of snow there is barely even thought about. You would get several inches of snow and still have to go to work and school. A friend of mine from Buffalo is equally annoyed by the Texas reaction to the cold. He made the comment this morning that if you don't need a shovel, it doesn't count as snow. And I'm inclined to agree. So unless you're a dog that has never experienced snow before, in which case you wouldn't be driving anyways, learn that you can go the speed limit if there's a light dusting of powder.

Enjoy the cold weather, I'm sure Dallas will be back to the 70's and 80's in no time!!

No comments:

Post a Comment