Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Home sweet home?

A little over a year ago, I wrote this post about the fact that I had no intentions of buying a house any time soon.

Just shy of a month after being married, people kept telling me and insisting that my husband and I should be looking at buying a house because it was a buyers market blah blah blah. Mostly, people were trying to tell us to buy a house because it was something that we were supposed to be doing. Not because it fit where we were in our lives. At that point, Austin was travelling a lot and was being sent to any office in a 150 mile radius on any given day. I also wasn't sure where I would be five years from now. I knew I didn't want to spend my life as an executive assistant but I hadn't the faintest clue what I would do with my life.

So, in short, buying a house was a terrible suggestion because it didn't make sense for us.

But, that's all changed.

Austin has worked in the same office for a while and knows he'll be in one location for quite some time. I've gotten a job that I really like in a position I love. I've been going to the same dance studio for three years now and don't plan on going anywhere else anytime soon. In short, we've started to settle down. We knew that our lease was coming to a close mid-August(ish). We  know where we plan to be for the next stretch of our foreseeable future. So, about three months ago, we started the house hunt. And, about a week ago, we put in an offer on a house. We wont be closing on the house until the middle of August, but we're well on our way to having our first home. And I'm on my way to having my very own dance room!

Considering the only input I've ever had on buying a home in the past is when my parents would buy a house and my biggest concern was picking my room and picking the paint for my room, I honestly had no idea how much of a process it is to buy a house. Not only is it difficult to try and find the perfect house (and not one that isn't waaaay outside your budget), but there's a lot of paperwork that goes into buying a house. Did you realize that it takes about a month to actually go through the process from the time you put in an offer until you actually close? I didn't. I hadn't the faintest clue. I feel like I'm selling my soul. Or first born. Or something equally as dramatic. So, if you're out there thinking about buying your first home, don't think it's going to be as easy as walking into a realtor's office, picking a house and getting the keys a week later. There's also the bank, the inspectors, the seller, the seller's agent. Everyone is trying to come out ahead and it is just exhausting. But, at the end of it all, if you're deemed worthy enough by everyone, you might find yourself with a house.

So, keep your fingers crossed that everything goes smoothly! Hopefully, possibly, maybe I'll have some pictures of the new home in a little over a month!

No comments:

Post a Comment