Maybe I'm alone in this thought, but I think there is something special about receiving snail mail. I know that I very rarely receive anything in the mail that I actually want. It's mostly bills, advertisements, and junk catalogs. But, occasionally, I'll get a card min the mail and they always bring a smile. I noticed this most recently right after I found out about the whole cancer debacle when someone sent me a card just with their general well wishes and letting me know they were there if I needed them. It was just a few days prior to my first procedure and I was terrified. When I received that card, it was just a nice reminder that no matter what, people are there for me and worried and they care. It was exactly what I needed.
Ever since then, I've made it a point to send cards more often. I've found that I really love to send out birthday cards for people. Most people don't ever actually expect to get one in the mail any more, except maybe from your mother or grandmother, and I think it's just a nice little touch to show people you care. Especially after planning a wedding when your head is filled with all of the proper ways to handle social situations so all family members are happy, I've noticed that I want to do my part to bring back all of these little social niceties. After sending out over 300 hand written thank you notes, I don't mind sending out the occasional thank you card when someone hosts a dinner party (or poker night). If I know a friend is going through a tough time, I'll send them a card or small gift to let them know I'm thinking of them. And after a wedding, I've realized it really is quite easy to send these little cards since I have so many people's addresses.
I don't know, people seem a bit surprised that someone as young as I am likes to follow such etiquette rules, but I really do like to do little things like that for people. I even have a planner where I write everything down and keep track of upcoming occasions in my friends and family members lives so I can be sure to acknowledge it. And since I don't have Facebook to keep me up to date with birthdays, this is my responsibility to take care of and keep updated. I think thank you cards and birthday cards and get well cards and such things should make a comeback. At the very least, I'm doing my part to assist the US Postal Service and card companies everywhere.
I can so relate to this. I love snail mail myself and wish I got more of it. Well, more that wasn't crap I want to see less of, lol.
ReplyDeleteI have a habit of buying cute cards I see and stashing them away for occasions I may need them. Get well soon cards, thinking of you cards, birthday cards, you're awesome and I'm sending you a dumb card cards, thank you cards etc. And then I always write my own little note along with the card so it's not just some generic card with my name signed in it. Most people I know think it's silly that I do that but some appreciate it.
My best friend lives in Philly and him and I still send each other cards and letters over sticking to communicating via social media platforms. It's sad that he lives so far away from me now and I talk to him more than people that live 15 minutes away from me. I wish more people would take the time to send a card or actually make a phone call but social media makes it easy to put up a minimal amount of effort. And as a result, people don't talk and really communicate as much. I just think the art of communication is being lost and people seem fine letting it slip away. I feel so old some days because I really prefer a letter, a card or a phone call or even a text message over someone using a social media platform to wish me a happy birthday or to leave a "haven't talked to you in a while, hope you're well!" post. It just seems so superficial in a way to "reach out" that way because it gives you an out to not respond further than that but still give off the appearance that you're communicating.
Sorry for the rant, lol. Great post, as always. :)