I'm going to get back on track with the actual serious posts I was planning on writing. I know the past couple posts have been a little off topic from the things I did want to talk about, but I'm going to get back to what I was talking about now.
This is a touchy subject for a lot of people, women especially. A lot of women feel like not wanting to have a child is somehow wrong. When people find out that I have absolutely zero desire to reproduce, they think that there's something wrong with me, it's a phase or I'm just saying it. I'm not. I have no desire to have kids. For as long as I can remember, I haven't wanted to have any children.
I'm still young. I'm in my early (very early) twenties. I see no reason to rush into having a child. There is more to life than procreating. I'm recently married. I want to enjoy being just married. I have a job. I want to focus on my career. I love shoes. I would rather spend my money on shoes than on a baby. I know that may seem selfish, but I think now is the time in my life to be a little selfish. If my husband and I want to travel or buy a car or something ridiculous, we can. Why should I rush into something as life changing as having a child? A lot of people seem to think that just because we're married, we should immediately turn our focus to children. Why?
And since I've learned more about the world we live in, I'm even less inclined to have a child of my own. When you can read about the thousands and thousands of children that are starving, homeless, abused, neglected and whatnot, what makes me think I should be so arrogant as to assume I should bring one of my own offspring into this world and not try to help these children? Should I not try to focus my time and energy on trying to help the children that are out there currently in the world rather than being so focused on having something that is "mine" out there? If I were to adopt a child, it would be my child. I would raise it. I would teach it. I would care for it. Does this not make the child my child?
I want a puppy. I don't have time for a puppy. I know that a child is much more work than a puppy. So if I can honestly say I don't have time for another pet, what makes me suitable to have a child that I have no time or energy for?
No comments:
Post a Comment