Wednesday, March 12, 2014

I am not mad at you, I’m just a shitty friend.

I used to be the friend who would sit up on the phone all night listening to your relationship woes, the unabridged account of your day and your endless yet amusing ideas. Now, I hardly pick-up the phone, we text and I send you Google invites. I’m sorry.

No, I am not mad, I’m just a shitty friend.

I don’t know what happened between the 5 hour conversations and the 5 minute coffee dates, but I’m just not the same friend I used to be. Maybe we're growing apart or maybe we're just growing up. I'm not surprised if it was a bit of both. Once upon a time, it was you who had the life. I would wait for you to be finished with whatever kept you busy throughout the day and be ready and, most importantly, available to be your vent bucket. Even if I had a busy day, I would make it my duty to be present for your need to flush your casual musings, feelings and dirty secrets. I guess I stopped being just a warm-body and became a person with her own issues. I’m sorry for that.

I developed a persona I can’t shake. I’m secretive. That’s who I am, a secretive type of girl. I date without telling you. I make life decisions without consulting with you and make new friends without introducing you. Because of this secret life unbeknownst to you, my energy which has been used up in my own affairs are now on E as soon as I get to you. When you tell me great news or awful news and I don't react, it’s not that I don’t care. I’ve just turned into a shitty friend. See my apologies to you below:

To the childhood friend(s): We grow apart but I still love you. I know I said I’d call you but you promised the same. You didn’t call and I’m not worried. But I get it. I was the one to keep us all together. I’m sorry I’m not as dependable anymore. Let’s hang soon.

To the best friend(s): We don’t talk as much as we used to. You jokingly say I’m different lately but I know it’s true. You're different, too. I was always available to you and you viewed me as your sidekick. Sorry I am not fulfilling sidekick duties. Maybe you can see me as just an equal now. If you want..

To the guy I’m sort of dating: Hey. Sorry I never responded to that text. I just got busy. Then I forgot. Are we dating? I'm not really sure what’s going on.

To the friends I made at the games: We had great conversations. We took each other’s phone numbers and twitter handles and we said we would hang and travel together. Thanks for the text invites for drinks and other events. Sorry I never made it. See, I have serious introvert problems. You’re really gonna have to be the one to plan something. I know that’s not fair. Hopefully we can meetup again.

To my fellow shitty friends: You’re never around when I need you. You’ve always been a shitty friend but now that I am one too, I understand. You won't take the time to read this but sorry for not being a good friend anymore. I guess we’ll just be shitty together.

No comments:

Post a Comment